The accountant reports directly to the general manager. The accountant is responsible for all company accounting and financial reporting functions.
- Maintains financial records of the system and supervises senior activities of the Accounting Department; provides complete and accurate records and statistical reports.
- Closes the general ledger monthly and prepares financial statements.
- Maintains accounting policies in accordance with FCC, GAAP, REA and state PUC guidelines.
- Reviews methods to improve subscriber billing services and to classify and analyze budget data and procedures.
- Reviews journal entries for accuracy and verifies all balance sheet accounts.
- Monitors system cash flow and maintains appropriate levels in checking accounts, interest accounts, and construction accounts.
- Supervises payroll preparation and verifies accuracy of payroll record keeping; oversees monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll, benefits, 401(k) and credit union tax reports.
- Develops and executes company policy on billing and collection and toll processing.
- Coordinates billing and payment with vendors and oversees credit standing, inventory control, delinquent accounts, and invoice discrepancies.
- Maintains financial record of all telephone plant in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounts and state PUC requirements.
- Prepares and assists with state and federal regulatory reports.
- Maintains Continuing Property Records, Purchase Order and Work Order System.
- Determines cash requirements for parent and subsidiary companies.
- Reviews employee time sheets and allocates to proper accounts.
- Applies proper accounting to material tickets.
- Maintains parent and subsidiary investment records.
- Assists corporate accountant and others with capital credit allocations and retirements.
- Develops operating procedures for Accounting and company purchasing processes.
- Processes accounts payable in a timely fashion
- Monitor cash balances in operating accounts and coordinate cash transfers as necessary
- Creates customer special order practices and authorizations.
- Reports cable television subscribers to NCTC and various programmers
- Provides support for CSR on a backup basis.
- Represent company at community events in order to promote awareness of company services (As accounting responsibilities allows)
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Other duties as assigned.
Accounting degree or knowledge and skills usually acquired through advanced education/training in business and accounting and at least one year of accounting/office experience.
Knowledgeable about regulatory requirements for telephone utility reporting. Understanding of accounting and double entry bookkeeping and statistical reporting.
Operate personal computer; understand financial and/or spreadsheet software. Establish and maintain effective working relationship with staff. Pay close attention to detail, schedules, and accounting principles. Maintain complete confidentiality of company financial data.
Establishes effective relationships with financial institutions, federal and state tax officials. Obtains information from vendors on billing and payment. Provides auditors with financial records. Coordinates with federal and state regulatory and accounting staff.
Must rely on teamwork to provide best possible reporting to General Manager, Board of Directors, staff and all subscribers. Position requirements will overlap due to organization size and nature of business.
- Punctuality and preparation to begin duties at 8am are required; 2 – 10 minutes breaks during each work day and conclude duties up until 5 pm. Breaks are encouraged to maintain a fresh work environment. Should customer service needs go beyond 5 pm, completion of work with customer will be at overtime rate.
- Personal cell phones are not allowed to be active during working hours. Personal calls may be made during breaks and lunch hours unless in case of an emergency.
- Workspace is expected to be orderly and presentable to the public
- All confidential information is to be filed away out of view of the public